tiistai 27. tammikuuta 2015

Let's Make... Crochet Scarf with HOOD!

I'm most definetely not a winter-person. I get cold easily, and freezing air gives me actual pain. 
This winter, I've been gathering all sorts of warm things to make me happier. A few days ago, I finished a spur-of-a-moment-thing that turned out so good I can't believe it. It was literally love at first wrap. 
So, ta-dah!


Three yards of crochet scarf with an attached hood. Honest to Goddess, best winter accessory ever. 
There's a lot of patterns out there that will help you make a hooded scarf, but I'll share my version anyways. 
Here. For free. 






So. What you need is a 8mm/US11 hook, and plenty of chunky yarn. Crochet the scarf first. Chain 12 + 3 for turning, and into the third stitch from the hook, triple crochet. Triple crochet in all chain stitches, which should give you 12 trs. Turn, and single crochet into every tr. Chain three, turn, and tr into every sc. Continue like this until your scarf if long enough. Mine is three yards long, and for a small girl, that's a lot of scarf. 

The chart below shows the pattern for the scarf, and an idea toward how to join the hood. You can do the hood with or without an increase in the middle: if you choose to crochet without, make sure that the hood will be wide enough to cover your head!



 Continue to the hood. 
Measure the center point of your scarf. You don't have to be too precise with it, it doesn't really matter if one end is a bit longer than the other. Just make sure it's close enough. The easiest way to determine how many stitches your hood needs is to just try the scarf on. Put the center to the middle of your neck, pull the scarf to both sides of your head so that you feel comfortable inside it, and mark both edges to the scarf. My hood started with 57 stitches. 
Into the edge of the scarf, tr three times into every space, and once in between. Turn, and sc into every tr. Chain three, and tr into every sc. In the middle of the row, tr three times into 1 tr. Continue like this until the hood is high enough, cast off, and sew the top of the hood closed.




 You can leave the scarf as is, and you can decorate it according to your fancy. I single crocheted around mine using two strands of black yarn I stumbled upon when rummaging around my stash. I also crocheted flowers which I sewed to both ends on both sides. 
Use your imagination when decorating. Make your scarf just as unique as you are. 

As the ends of the scarf are long, they will hang free, and move around you. When attaching decorations, don't hesitate to give both sides a bit of texture. 
The decorations serve a purpose as well: they add a bit of weight to the ends of the scarf, helping it stay put when it's windy. 




This thing is literally my all-time favourite winter accessory. 
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. 











Love, 
Heather

8 kommenttia:

  1. It's absolutely beautiful, Heather ... and of course I really like your choice of colours! I noticed there was a beginner's crochet class at the fabric store in town. I'm seriously considering it. Cause I don't already have enough hobbies. Haha.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you :) Crocheting is a fun hobby, and you could practice while waiting for pages to load on the internet when it's really slow ;)

      Poista
  2. So cute! I've been crocheting like crazy lately, and this might be my next project.

    VastaaPoista
  3. I've been meaning to learn to crochet, but there always seems to be a reason that prevents me...
    I love it though! And yes, a hooded scarf is quite literally the best winter accessory. I knit a copy bat kitty scarf/hood, because I was so enamored with them! I just couldn't afford the hood from the lady who designed it at the time, and I had oodles of time and some knitting knowledge an my side.

    I think if I ever finally get ready to learn, I'll have to crochet myself this one! Heh.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks :) Crocheting is a funny thing, it seems challenging, but once you get your head around it, you'll find it has a lot less moving parts than knitting.

      Poista
  4. What a clever idea!! I used to croch a lot, it's very easy (aiming to those who haven't tried yet).

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks, someone out there really did us all a favour by coming up with the hooded scarf. And yes, crochet is easy once one gets it all figured out. And it's quick, especially with a big hook and thick yarn :)

      Poista

... and leave some of the happiness You bring