keskiviikko 30. maaliskuuta 2016

Making of: Reversible Corset Pattern, pt 1

This week, I wanted to start a little journey with my loyal readers. I started working on a new reversible corset pattern today, and thought I'd show you what the process is like. All designers create their patterns a little differently. Most use Illustrator to trace their drafted patterns and to add sizes. I learned to draw patterns by hand, and like to take advantage of my skill. 
Creating a pattern starts with an idea. A while back, I got an idea to create a half-bust corset with reductions on the sides only, a flat front, and a curved back. I drafted a pattern for it, and got distracted with an urgent order. 
Today, after returning to my ordinary schedule, I stumbled across a little bit of skull-print cotton, and a little bit of satin finished cotton-blend. Together, these two wanted to be a waist corset. I also dug up spiral steel boning, and a plastic zipper. 
I've been in dear need of a skull-patterned anything for a long time now, and couldn't bear to hide the print inside a corset.

The only problem was that I couldn't decide which fabric I liked better. To save myself from choosing, I decided to create a reversible corset. I took the earlier drafted over-bust pattern, modified it a bit, and gained a waist corset pattern with a flat front, and curved sides. 
The next step in the process is to test the pattern out. When testing, I polish out minor mistakes which often occur in pattern drafting. It may be that the length of a certain pattern piece is a bit off, or that a straight seam needs a little bit of curve. Usually, these mistakes are rare. I've been patterning garments of all sorts for nearly twenty-five years, and pretty much know my way around measurements and curves. 
I use newspapers to draft the first version of pattern pieces. Paper is paper is paper.

So, tomorrow I get to start sewing two super-cool corsets of which one is reversible. I hope I'll get to show you the results next Wednesday! 

Love, 
Heather

4 kommenttia:

  1. Cute skull fabric! :) I look forward to seeing the end result.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks. The fabric used to be a small scarf. It was absolutely useless, so I wanted to give it a new life.

      Poista
  2. I love the fabric, and look forward to seeing the end result. And thank you for sharing your process. I love seeing how other designers work.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you. I was actually a bit apprehensive about sharing the way I create patterns, but after learning that the way I do this is a dying skill, I decided to overcome my insecurities.

      Poista

... and leave some of the happiness You bring